Happy Sunday! I love sharing new recipes, especially ones that I really really enjoy eating. These Greek Lamb/Beef sweet potato sliders are the bomb. I’m always the sweet-savory umami girl. I can’t believe fall is just around the corner. Fall is definitely one of my favorite seasons, I also love springtime. As someone who is always cold anyway, I love that I’m going to be able to wear long sleeves and my Bearpaw boots haha. It’s also really nice sleeping in when it is a little chili. I can’t wait to take my kid to the Cider Mill, which we have done every year since her birth. I know this will definitely be different due to this Pandemic. Whew Child, 2020 has been something else, all in all, I still feel pretty blessed.
When you are doing a whole30 there are foods you have to avoid, bread is one of the biggest ones. Most people I feel are addicted to bread, myself included. Whole30 has helped me with that addiction. Sweet potatoes do great as buns. Not only because they are round but because they are healthy for you. They are highly nutritious. High in Vitamin A, protein, fiber, and rich in antioxidants. They are also glutenfree. The best part is they are filling, and when you use it as a bun you won’t need to add fries haha.
I topped the sliders with my marinated onions. I really enjoy using my sweet and tangy marinated onions on just about anything. It is perfect for this type of slider because it is sweet from coconut aminos and tangy from red wine and apple cider vinegar, combined with the baked sweet potatoes and creamy coconut tzatziki sauce, flavor bomb.
I used a mix of lamb and ground beef because it makes it a more flavorful burger, also because Lamb is famous in Greek restaurants. I buy the mix of my favorite meat market. Essentially top it with whatever condiments you prefer, as long as tzatziki remains.
I really hope you enjoy this, make sure to tag, rate, and comment. Thank you.
For the Tzatziki Sauce: http://thisafricancooks.com/recipe/whole-30-tostone-chicken-gyros-drizzled-with-coconut-cream-tzatziki-sauce/
|Cook Time||10-20 min|
|Passive Time||45 min-1 hour|
- 2 lbs ground beef/lamb mix
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium red onion sliced thinly about 1/8 inch round maing sure they dont separate
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried savory or italian seasoning.
- find the recipe by clicking link link above
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 1/4 inch thick slices, using the larges section of the sweet potato. You should be able to get 16 slices
- 2 tsp olive oil
- sea salt
Tzatziki Sauce and Sweet Potato Buns
- Place sliced onions into a pint-sized mason jar. Add the rest of the ingredients into a microwavable bowl, mix well and heat for 3 minutes, until bubbling hot. Pour Liquid on top of the onions. Cover and let sit for at least 45-1 hour. Stores well in the fridge for a few weeks.
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease a large baking sheet. Coat sweet potatoes with olive oil, line on the sheet, and bake for 18-20 minutes. Making sure to flip midway. When done remove from heat.
- Season ground meat with all the ingredients listed with the exception of the salt. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes. Mix in the salt and make 8 patties to fit the sweet potatoes. Heat a large nonstick skillet on med-high heat with some olive oil. When hot cook burger 5-6 minutes on each side. To Plate: Top one sweet potato round with lettuce, then 1 patty, add garnish, marinated onion, tzatziki sauce, and cover with another sweet potato round. Repeat with rest and enjoy it.
I made the marinated onions from this recipe and they are SO good. The coconut aminos really take it to another level – genius! Maybe I’ll give out jars of marinated onions for Christmas.. they’re that good.
Erica N says
Ha ha I eat them like that too 😳