Hi, there :), it has been a while. It’s still considered spring right now but it feels like summertime here, todays weather was a whopping 94 degrees, the type that makes no one want to leave their home. I spent the day with my baby girl #missteamtoomuch, she is a ball of sass and energy. Boy am I tired, we spent the day going to plum market, it was part torture, because I am doing whole 30. If you are unfamiliar with Whole 30, it’s basically like a lifestyle change, well at least the way you eat. It is 30 days of no processed foods, flour, sugar, grains, most nuts, legumes, alcohol. What you eat is mostly meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and fruit in moderation. After the 30 days you reintroduce some groups back in your body to discover which foods work well with your body, and which ones don’t. For a while I was waking up feeling like I was in a physical fight, I had so much inflammation, bad sinus issues, so that’s why I decided to try While 30. Sigh it’s hard, especially working 12 hour and bring unable to eat out. Alas I’m almost three weeks into Whole 30,some days were harder than others, there were days when I was starving after work, too tired to want to cook. But I keep pushing with my hubby Whole has also been doing it since day one. Below is a yummy reminder of spring.
In the spring time it’s great to have things that are refreshing, light and yummy, like this orzo salad, with the caramelized sweet potatoes, fresh oranges, veggies, and pecans. I could use a bowl of that right now, but orzo is non compliant with Whole 30. This recipe was quick and easy, good for dinner, potluck or bbq. I ahead and try it, let me know what you think.
- 4 cups chopped sweet potato
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 large orange juiced
- 1 half a lemon juiced
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vinagar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1.5 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup baby arugula
- chopped pecans
- sliced avocado
- To make vinaigrette juice orgen and lemon, together should make 1/2 cup of juice. Make sure to remove pulp. Add the rest of the ingredients to it and shake vigorously, until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan boil 6 ups of vegetable broth or water. Add salt an olive oil.
- Then add orzo and cook for 10-12 minutes on medium to low heat. Strain when it is done cooking. Let cool for a few mintes.
- Next peel and was sweet potatoes, cube in bite size pieces. Heat a medium skillet on stove, should be on medium heat. Add coconut oil and potatoes.
- Turn heat down if you need to, cook and brown for 10 minutes, then add salt and paprika. Make sure you use a spatula to continue to flip them, as you dont want one side to burn.
- After 12 minutes of cooking add maple syrup, cook another three minutes. Remove from heat.
- Chop Veggies. And set aside until ready to combine.
- In a large bowl add orzo, veggies, and dressing together and mix well. S
- erve with sweet potatoes, pecans ant optional ingredients. Enjoy and comment.
Made it, loved it – delicious! – Didn’t have an orange, so used grapefruit juice instead – the flavors in the vinegairette are terrific! And added some roasted chickpea, feta cheese, and diced jalapeños on top too – because I had them. Yum! Thanks
Erica N says
Yayyy I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you for the feedback