Hi guys, hope your day is going well. I actually had a really good weekend. I picked up my niece to spend the weekend with us, Ava was so happy, she couldn’t believe her eyes when my niece opened the door, it was priceless. We spent the weekend hanging out, including a birthday party for my Godson at Zap Zone. I was so exhausted when I got home.
I planned on relaxing today, but of course, something had to happen…smh. Upon jumping in my home sauna I heard a loud boom, and like that, all of the electricity went out–like whaaat! It turns out a transformer broke in my subdivision and half the neighborhood was out of power. Luckily my gracious neighbor turned on his generator and allowed us to plug in our refrigerator and deep freezer…thank you Paul and Adrian (nothing like great neighbors).
Today’s recipe I’ll be sharing is my open face chicken sliders with spicy pineapple slaw. Whole30 and paleo compliant, the dish is both dairy-free, grain-free and bunless. The chicken lays on a tostone, which is a twice-fried green plantain. Though I’ve eaten plantains all my life, mostly yellow plantains, green ones were not always my fav, but have definitely grown on me in the form of tostones. The chicken is lightly fried in olive oil, covered in egg and tapioca starch to give it some crispiness. The pineapple was pan grilled and chopped. The coleslaw has a kick from the jalapenos, but may not be everyone’s cup of tea depending on your tolerance or preference for spice. Feel free to omit if you like. This recipe is quite easy, its’ not as intimidating as it may appear because it has more than one step. Just remember the tostone does not have to be perfectly round. Perfection is boring LOL. Go ahead and make it, don’t forget to comment.
- 3 pieces boneless chicken thighs cut into 3 each
- 1 tsp cayanne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp chinese 5 spice
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion salt or use garlic salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 whole egg lightly beaten plus 1 tbsp of water
- 1/2 cup light olive oil you can use coconut or avocado also
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup grilled chopped pinapple pan grill a piece of pineapple and chop
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 tbsp sweet onion
- 2 tbsp chopped pickle
- 1/4 cup mayo whole 30 compliant
- 1 tbsp diced jalapenos ommit if you dont like spicy slaw
- Season chicken with salt, cayenne, and paprika. Using a fork or a meat tenderizing blade.
- Toss the rest of the ingredients into a large ziplock bag. Place egg and water in a bowl, lightly beaten.
- Place slaw ingredients in a small bowl, mix well. cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Dip each of chicken in egg, and coat with tapioca flour mix. Place on a cooling rack for 10 min. After 10 min toss the chicken back in starch and recoat.
- Peel, wash and cut ends of plantain, then into 9 cylinders. season with salt.
- Heat a medium skillet in on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of oil.
- Add plantains and brown each side.
- Remove out of oil, leaving skillet heating on the stove. Wet the bottom of a ringless plate/bowl or glass. On top of a cutting board, smash each piece into a circular disk. Use a spatula to remove if it is sticking.
- Return to oil and cook each side till crisp. Remove from heat and place on paper towel.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium to high heat. Add coated chicken and fry for 5 min on each side. chicken should be between 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place on a clean cooling rack, to slightly cool.
- Place a few pieces of arugula on each piece of tostone, top with chicken and coleslaw. Drizzle with whole30 compliant bbq sauce.
Leave a Reply